Skip to main content

Week 5 Story: The It Couple

Updated version of the story located at College and Karma.
(Express Your Love; Source: Needpix)

At the University of Oklahoma, Ryan and Sarah were the couple to be. Everyone envied what they had and wanted a relationship like theirs, even if it meant ruining their relationship. Ryan and Sarah were juniors at the university, but the moment they locked eyes at a frat party one Halloween night during freshman year, they were hooked. It was love, and lust, at first sight.
Sarah was a preacher's daughter and had only had short relationships in high school while Ryan was Mr. Popular Jock and definitely made a reputation for himself as a player. Let's just say, high school Sarah and Ryan probably would not have been a thought in anyone's mind. Sarah was the sweet, loyal girl who was friends with everyone and Ryan was the jock that was a part of the exclusive, "cool" crowd.
Sarah's dad, Joe, being a preacher, was very strict and concerned about who his daughter was involved with. He requested that he get to meet Ryan and decide if he was good enough for Sarah. During Thanksgiving, Ryan accompanied Sarah home. All week Sarah's dad gave Ryan mini tests to determine his intentions in the relationship. Finally the day before they were to head back to OU, Ryan faced the biggest test yet. Sarah's dad wanted to talk to him...alone.
"So Ryan, how ya doing?" asked Joe.
"I'm doing great! Just very happy to be here and learn more about Sarah. I really like you daughter, sir. I think she is incredible." exclaimed Ryan.
"I'm glad Ryan. What exactly are your intentions with my girl?" hounded Joe.
"I think she deserves the world and I intend of giving it to her, however I can" declared Ryan.
"I like your answer Ryan. Just don't hurt my little girl." said Joe, giving Ryan his approval.
After the long Thanksgiving break, Ryan and Sarah returned to school. They were closer than ever and ready to define their relationship to exclusive.

Back to present day, Ryan and Sarah had gone through countless ups and downs in their relationship. They were at a point in their relationship where they were comfortable with each other, but sometimes distant. One night Ryan got a little too drunk at his friend's party and had no way of getting home. The party scene was not really Sarah's thing so she had had a girls night with her roommates and was busy. Ryan ended up just falling asleep on the couch, but in the commotion of the dying party, another girl had snuggled on the couch with him. Pictures of the snugglers had found its way on social media platforms and the next morning Sarah had been sent multiple texts to check them out. She opened her phone and as the picture had filled her screen, Ryan was knocking on her door begging to explain what happened.
Sarah being the loyal and understanding girl she was, decided that she would give Ryan a chance to explain himself, but under no circumstances would she just welcome him back into her life easily. She gave Ryan the opportunity to prove his loyalty to her.
"Please. Sarah. Let me prove to you that I love you and am loyal to you." pleaded Ryan.
"Ryan, how could you embarrass me like this? I don't know what you can do, but you can try your best." spoke Sarah.
"Let me be struck by immense bad luck and bad karma if I am in the wrong!" shouted Ryan.

Three weeks had gone by, and the only thing in Ryan's life that had gone badly was the missing piece in his heart. The piece that belonged to Sarah. Sarah, noticing that Ryan's karma has not changed, decides to take him back.

3 years later:
Ryan and Sarah are happily married and expecting twin boys any day now. After the picture fiasco, they were more open and honest with each other. Sarah did some deep reflection and realized that the actions and decisions she made in college led her to this place in life. To have good karma and a happy life all because she believed and trusted Ryan.

Author's Note: This is a modified adaptation of Rama and Sita's love story. Rama has to prove himself to Sita's father for his daughter's hand in marriage. Once Sita is rescued from Ravana, Rama needs her to prove her purity since she had slept in another man's house. In my version, I chose to modernize it by having them be college students. I used college setting for the story as it helps audiences relate to the story. I chose to switch the roles at the end of the story and make Ryan, or Rama, the one in the relationship who had to prove his loyalty and purity to Sarah (Sita) from sleeping alongside another girl.

Bibliography: Narayan, R.K. The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic. Penguin Books, 2006.

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsey,
    I enjoyed your modern interpretation of the conflict Rama and Sita went through when she was finally rescued from Ravana's clutches. I obviously like the happy ending haha, but I really like how you gave background and defined the nature of both characters. I like how you showed each of their feelings as Ryan tried to win back Sarah after the bad publicity they received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey,
    I thought your rendition of the Ramayana story was really fun, and I like how Sarah and Ryan met at a frat party on Halloween. I also didn't know how the story was going to go, and I liked that - I find stories entertaining to read when I don't quite know what's going to happen next. The modern elements in this story are really well used and I liked the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey,
    I love this story soo much. At the end, I had the biggest smile on my face. I had a feeling it was over Rama and Sita, but the roles are are reversed! I definitely like this version a lot better because the boy made mistakes. I was very frustrated in the original because Rama kept not trusting Sita after so many tests. Also, that story had such a sad ending! I am glad this one does not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsey,
    Great adaptation from the Rama and Sita version of the story. I thought your story depicted a realistic modern day love story--I am sure that something like this has happened before as two lovers lock eyes for the first time in a fraternity house. I enjoyed hearing about the tests that Ryan had to pass, similar to the test that Rama had to pass. I wasn't sure if everything would work out a the end of your story; it was interesting that you kept Sarah and Ryan's story just as turbulent as Rama and Sita's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lindsey,
    I was able to recognize the characters from the story you were adapting as I was reading your story, so you did a great job with the adaptation. I thought the setting was kind of funny and cringe-y in a good way. I liked the variation on the end, sometimes I can get annoyed with all the patriarchal dominance in some epics. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future PA

Hi everyone, my name is Lindsey. I am a junior here at the University of Oklahoma. I am originally from the Dallas, TX area much like a big portion of the students here at OU. My major is Health and Exercise Science, pre-PA. I have always been interested in sports and sport related injuries so I plan to become a PA for an orthopedic surgeon. The coolest thing about being a Health and Exercise Science major, or any major that is on a medical track, is that you have to take anatomy here at the university. The really unique thing about OU's anatomy course is that it is with cadaver. While that may freak most people out, the opportunities OU students have with having a cadaver experience really help for later admission into medical and graduate programs. Out of all my classes I have taken so far, that class would have to be the most challenging but also the coolest experience. As I said earlier, I am a big sports girl and root for all the Dallas teams, the Dallas Stars and

Comment Wall- College and Karma

Thank you in advance for your feedback. Karma Works (Portrayed is the idea that Karma is continuous repercussions of our actions: Source:  Wikimedia )